Update: Carbon monoxide leak hospitalizes 22 in Coronado
Paramedics are treating students and adults outside a church in Coronado after they became ill Friday morning.
The incident began at about 9 a.m. at a service at Coronado's Sacred Heart Church -- which also operates a Catholic school at the site -- on the last day of school, said Coronado police Chief Louis Scanlon. He said children began coughing and complaining of dizziness. In all, 15 people showed symptoms of nausea and dizziness, he said, and three children lost consciousness.
A hazardous-material team was called out after the students became ill, according to the Heartland Fire Department.
Paramedics at the scene treated both children and adults at a triage center on a lawn across the street, where several people were on their backs. A staging area was set up at Spreckles Park. Nearby, dozens of anxious parents are standing by.
It's not yet known what may have caused the students at the church in the 700 block of C Street to become ill. The site was evacuated, and emergency responders are looking for some sort of leak -- possibly natural gas or carbon monoxide -- according to a spokeswoman for the Coronado Police Department.
Read the entire NBC San Diego article here