Coronado comes in at #2 on the list. Enjoy building sandcastles in front of the world famous Hotel del Coronado. More photos of Coronado's beaches here.
(CNN) -- Heading to the coast this weekend? Take note of the nation's best sandy stretch: Sarasota, Florida's Siesta Beach tops the 2011 list of the top 10 beaches in the country.
The annual list, in its 21st year, is produced by Stephen P. Leatherman, director of Florida International University's Laboratory for Coastal Research.
"Siesta Beach in Sarasota boasts that it has the finest and whitest sand in the world, and I cannot argue with this claim; the powdery sand is nearly pure quartz crystal," Leatherman said in a statement.
Coronado Beach in San Diego and Hawaii's Kahanamoku Beach on Oahu round out the top three.
Coronado is described in the rankings as "the toast of Southern California" with the historic Hotel del Coronado adding its celebrity appeal and Old World elegance.
More of this story from CNN.
Top 10: America's Best Beaches for 2011
1. Siesta Beach in Sarasota, Florida
2. Coronado Beach in San Diego, California
3. Kahanamoku Beach in Waikiki, Oahu, Hawaii
4. Main Beach in East Hampton, New York
5. Cape Hatteras in the Outer Banks of North Carolina
6. St. George Island State Park, Florida panhandle
7. Beachwalker Park Kiawah Island, South Carolina
8. Coast Guard Beach in Cape Cod, Massachusetts
9. Waimanalo Bay Beach Park on Oahu, Hawaii
10. Cape Florida State Park in Key Biscayne, Florida
More from Dr. Beach here.
See more Coronado beach photos here.
Coronado Beach: A Coronado kid enjoying the beach with a view of Point Loma. More photos.
Comment (keep it clean & on topic)